Save The Franklin Battlefield, Inc  
 

Home | Mission | Upcoming Events | Recent Events | Newsletter | Store | Contact


Preservation | Driving Tour | Visit Franklin

 
   
 

Back Next

 
 

Stop 22

Fort Granger

National Landmark

 
 

In the spring of 1863, Federal forces commanded by Major General Gordon Granger occupied Franklin.  Construction of major fortification began under the direction of Captain W.E. Merrill, U.S. Corps of Engineers.  Fort Granger, the largest of these fortifications was placed on Figuers Bluff, above the Harpeth River and near the Nashville & Decatur Railroad bridge. The artillery at Fort Granger saw action twice in 1863 against Confederate cavalry forces as well as during the Battle of Franklin when two six-gun rifled U.S. artillery batteries were fired across the river into Stewart's advancing Confederates south of Lewisburg Pike. During the Battle of Franklin, the site served as command post of Major General John M. Schofield. 

 

 
 

 
 

Click the thumbnail to read the Historic Marker.

 
     
 

 
     
 

Leaving Fort Granger, turn right on Eddy Lane to Murfreesboro Road/ Route 96. Turn right.

 
     
 

Pinkerton Park

Optional Stop

 
 

Picnic Facilities and Public Restrooms   Fort Granger stands on the hill back of the park. A strenuous walking trail leads to the fort.

 
 

 

 
 

Continue on Murfreesboro Road/ Route 96; stay in the left lane across the bridge (This was a key bridge that was washed out at the time of the Battle.) and the railroad tracks. Turn left at traffic light on South Margin Street. Take South Margin Street to Lewisburg Avenue. Turn left onto Lewisburg Avenue to Collins’ Farm on the right. 

 
 

 

 
     
 

Back Next

 
 

© 1997-2017 Save the Franklin Battlefield Inc.