|Save The Franklin Battlefield, Inc|
STFB Annual Meeting
November 8, 2007
The STFB membership gathered November 8 for the 2007 Annual Meeting. The dinner meeting for 42 members and guests was held at Ferguson Hall in Spring Hill. Host Bill Alsup began the evening by relating the story of the murder of Confederate General Earl Van Dorn who had his headquarters at Ferguson Hall, then known as the Nate Cheairs house. It seems the general reportedly was visited at odd hours by Jessie Peters, vivacious wife of Dr. George B Peters who was out of town for an extended period. After returning home, Dr Peters himself visited Van Dorn at Ferguson Hall on May 7, 1863 and killed him with one pistol shot. Dr Peters fled town and army investigators never brought the matter to trial.
STFB Treasurer Sam Huffman gave a summary of the many public events and tours conducted by this very dedicated band of Board Members and STFB volunteers. Also during the business portion if the meeting, Greg Wade, Tommy Burnett, and Sam Huffman were elected to three-year Board of Director terms beginning in 2008. The Board will elect STFB officers for 2008 at its next meeting. After dinner, local author Eric A. Jacobson discussed his new book The McGavock Confederate Cemetery A Revised and Updated Compilation. The book contains the most accurate record of the Confederate dead buried there as well as the manner in which the cemetery was organized and maintained. It also details the complex story of the funding and establishment of the McGavock Confederate Cemetery in 1866. As is the usual case, Eric did a splendid job of entertaining and educating his audience.
Ferguson Hall is available for meetings and social gatherings by calling 931-486-2274.
|© 1997-2023 Save the Franklin Battlefield Inc.|